So What's Chiang Rai like?
Chiang Rai is my first stop (besides the original Bangkok arrival) in Thailand after Laos. Life here is relaxed in this town of 75,000. Life in Thailand is so comfortable for the tourist...and that is just a fact of this country being in step with every need of tourism as it brings lots of dollars to this economy and has since the Vietnam war. So at the moment I am sitting in a comfortable cafe with a latte and soft jazz in the background. It is a sunny day here and the temps are about 70 at this time of the year. Much nicer than the cold temps of Laos! Here it is all available-commerce all around you! I can get glasses made with designer frames in less than a day or have botox or collagean treatments across the street! There is a first rate Western type hospital here and well-known language schools as well as a first rate independent English language school here for primary to high school years. Thailand is much more well off than Laos, and that is evident just from the traffic-lots more cars here and better infrastructure all around. This city is easy to walk in and I can be at the river's edge about 20 minutes from my room. Beautiful temples are a part of Chiang Rai--one with a replica of the Emerald Buddha that now sits in Bangkok. A few steps down the quiet street of my own road is a temple, nice for quiet meditation in the afternoon. The day market is a few minutes walk from my hotel and is the busy place at any time of the day. The walkways are narrow and the merchandise is packed into every space. Toothbrushes and toothpaste next to bags of sunflower seeds next to star fruit next to fresh meat on ice... it is all there. My new $6 blouse was my purchase as I think of school when I am in Phuket. The night market takes over the bus station area and is just fun to wander in. Much for sale --from "junk" to beautiful handicrafts from the area...and Thai music and dancing on a stage nearby each evening.
Tomorrow I leave for Chiang Mai for two days and fly out to Phuket on Wednesday to get settled in for the class that starts a week from Monday.
Tomorrow I leave for Chiang Mai for two days and fly out to Phuket on Wednesday to get settled in for the class that starts a week from Monday.
