Tracy's Travels

Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Islands in the East of Thailand

While I was on Ko Mak in front of the bar by my bungalow waiting for the speedboat to come to take us all to Ko Kood, Tea was teaching the children how to play the drums. We were all seranaded! Relaxation infused everything, everyone was happy in these moments... kids enjoying making some music and adults waiting under the palm trees with one last Singha (Thai beer) in hand.













For me, the three islands off of Ko Chang have been like biting into chocolates that Forrest Gump talked about..."You never know what you're gonna get." And so it was for me.


I am now on Ko Kood. There are suppose to be a few villages on this island, but I am not by one. I stay along a large shallow cove with three places for accommodation. A travel guy on Ko Mak booked my place for me as I had little info on the island.







The bungalow is quite posh compared with my Ko Mak digs. It is large with windows all around and set into a hillside set amid beautiful gardens. There are few other guests here--only a family of four and another couple. A lovely white sand beach is about a 5 minute walk down the way, with sandy bottom and clear water as far as my feet can still touch. After a swim, watching the sunset and wandering into the shallows of low tide for a local man who wanted to show me what he was collecting (snail like creatures), I settled into my room with the outside sound filled with cricket like sounds.. and the only other sounds being my pen writing on the paper and the fan making its swing back and forth to keep the evening heat at bay. I think back to my last night on Ko Mak in which I was sitting in my hammock on the porch listening to the waves to the west, Reggae music to the south (at the Orang-utan bar a bit away) and island music across the road in loud party mode!





It is now the next morning in the relaxed paradise of Ko Kood and as usual on my first night in a new place, I awake in the middle of the night thinking two things: 1) Where AM I? 2) How do I get to bathroom in this place? (It's very dark.) In the early morning light, a lively assortment of forest birdies sing me awake and I think of the delicious day before me on this beautiful piece of Ko Kood.



As I sat down for dinner.. it was nice to have the banana leaves swaying just over the porch, the small little geckos hanging around each light fixture looking for insects for their dinner.... and the breeze was soft in the early evening.