Tracy's Travels

Monday, January 14, 2008

Back in Bangkok

Hello All,
When I woke in the early morning on Friday I really did not want to get out of bed... too early! and too cold! , but Kazoo airport with a scheduled departure of 6:00 meant I must get going!. Luckily, the flight was on time and if I am out of Kazoo on a plane, I figure that is a good sign. However, in Chicago with all the banners that read 'Rebookings are scheduled at H-7 and K-10A", I wondered. All was on time and though I was plenty tired after 30 hours of waiting and flying... it was nice to feel the humid air and see the familiar streets as the taxi whizzed me into town and to my hotel--at 2 in the morning here. I slept in later and finally got out about 12 noon to wander for a bit. I had hoped to get to apply for my visa for Vietnam on Sunday, but they were not open (where did Saturday go?) On the way I walked by
people making offerings with flowers, incense and prayers. The smell of the familiar incense filled the air, the vendors with stacks of marigold, jasmine and orchid flowered garlands for sale, small caged birds (to buy and release for good luck), the chatter of the Thai language, Thai dancers, people praying ... all so familiar as part of this wonderful land. A two hour Thai massage helped with the plane ride aches... and I am sure at times I had fallen asleep.. awakened when she was walking on my back (no kidding!). Today, I can say that I am feeling back to part of the human race and I attribute that to a great little formula my acupucnturist gave me for flying. Today I met up with a traveler who I talked with on the plane and who is here for a couple months. Blake and I had lunch, then went for a massage (this time I had a foot massage), and then coffee. Great conversations talking about the 51 places he had lived in his life time (no kidding!) and the next place he hopes to live--either "off the grid" near Lake City, Colorado or on the island of Ko Pha Nang in southern Thailand. And now I am rounding out the day at the internet...and off to the guesthouse where I taught last year to see my friends there!
PS Traffic is unending till one is off the quieter 'Soi' streets. The vendor with food is just one of hundreds that are part of every place--one can never go hungry here! I had to include the only snowflakes I have seen since coming here... and a 'cool ride'!