Last Days in Bangkok
I have been in Bangkok four times on this trip, though I had never gotten down to the Chao Phyra River.
To feel the magic and beauty of Bangkok, that is the place to be. Mary (friend from Hanoi) came in to get some paperwork done for her job (she got the stamp!! and it only took two and a half hours of the morning!) Then we headed off to the river.
She wanted to see Wat Arun (Temple of Dawn-- on the east side of the river) and I was happy to go there, as I had not been there in several years and I was wanting to get down to the river before I left Thailand.
To get to the temple, we took Chao Phyra Express... taxi boats on the river.. which are a great way to get around Bangkok, because it is out of the heavy traffic and the view along the river is always pleasant. The ferrys are "kissing" the dock.. and the exchange of people happen...hopping on and off and we are on our way to the next dock a bit up the river.
Wat Arun has intricate decorations made of many kinds of ceramic tiles inlaid in tall spires reaching high to the sky.
There are many stairways to reaching different levels, but when I had been here before, they were all closed off. Not the day we were there!! And though Mary is afraid of heights... she did not want to miss the chance to climb as far as possible.
The view was magic... the river and the city spread like a beautiful carpet as far as the eye could see.
I like to always go to go to a temple in Bangkok called Wat Pho aat least once when I come to Thailand. The Reclining Buddha lies in a space that almost seems too small, but maybe because of that it makes the statue all the more grand. 
After removing shoes, I like to make the slow walk around the Buddha and put coins in the 108 bowls along the side of one wall.. the sound of this is quite musical as many people drop the coins in the metal bowls. The bottom of the feet are inlaid with mother of pearl and more intricate than anything I have ever seen.
Just at the side of the building with the Reclining Buddha there is a place for doing fortune sticks, incense, and lighting candles.
After the temples, we made our way to the market area around the ferry stop and had a little lunch. Just north of the ferry stop along the road is an area called "Amulet Alley". Here there are many vendors, some with a blanket laid out of the sidewalk with their wares for sale, others with a small cardboard box with their few items on top. Here bargining is part of the process... so we were picking out our choices and offering what we thought was fair.. and mostly it was accepted.
In Thailand, amulets are worn in small cases on a chain around the neck. Often people wear at least one, but sometimes many. Different amulets have different meanings and protections for the person and are chosen with great care. The ones Mary and I chose were quite inexpensive.. the most expensive one being $10 and the least being 30 cents, but amulets can cost the buyer thousands if it is old and with special history.
Today is my last day in Bangkok. I came back to my favorite area called Siam Square from the hotel where Mary and I stayed. I had a massage this afternoon, and just walked around appreicating all things Thai... I know I will be back, but I will still miss this beautiful country.
