Tracy's Travels

Friday, March 28, 2008

Tokyo in Blossom


Japan is a land of contrasts and none more clear than during this time of celebrating the cherry blossoms.   Tokyo is a huge city of 33 million people and the streets are full of neon, crowds, shops, traffic and all that comes with so many people in one city. 
AND YET... there are many huge and beautiful parks all over Tokyo (and Japan).   To the Japanese, the garden is an art form, and it is totally appreciated in this country,  Each garden is meticulously tended to.   It is quite amazing to be in a wide green expanse when just five minutes before I was emerging from the largest subway station in the world with many levels and trains leaving and coming in every direction (Shinjuku Station).
In Japan, the word for cherry blossom viewing is "hanami" and it is a popular pastime.  People bring their ground sheet and food for a picnic and enjoy the beauty.  Children play games on the lawn, adults stroll through the walks, cameras are out getting every angle of the blossoms, and life amid the gardens is slowed down for a bit.
Some of the pictures in the slide show I will send along in another email to you are from a park about 10 minutes walk from where I stay, others are from a park that I visited with Paulo in Shinjuku in central Tokyo.  The cherry blossoms are only starting, so I plan to visit more parks and take in more of this beauty!